Pinterest Pin

Tuesday, 13 November 2012

I Kinda Like "I Love Your Style"

I've been reading lots of books about style.

Part of what I'm trying to do, sewing and with the blog, is to figure out what my style is. I didn't start caring about clothes until I was out of college so I feel like I'm way behind the curve!

I'm not sure if it's because I grew up in the suburbs, but kids in the city seem to have so much style even when they're young.

Sometimes it seems like so much work just to figure out what I want to wear.

According to I Love Your Style by Amanda Brooks, having style just takes a lot of work.



I really enjoyed reading this book, mostly because of all the pictures! Brooks is a big fan of tear sheets and it definitely comes across in her book, which reads more like a magazine.

Brooks believes that style takes work and effort (and so far I have to agree). She encourages discovering your personal style through studying the style of others and experimenting (and sometimes making mistakes) with your own clothes.

I think the idea that I find most useful in trying to figure out my own personal style is taking a classic look and adding a unique or striking element to make it your own. An incongruous accessory, exaggerated proportions, that kind of thing. There are lots great, well-illustrated ideas. There's also a fabulous blog!

How do you make a classic look your own?

3 comments:

  1. I also own this book... How many things do we have in common ??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the things! What else should I be reading?

      Delete
    2. On style and wardrobing, Tim Gunn's Guide to Style is fine and What I wore today too...

      Delete