Pinterest Pin

Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Interfaced hem tutorial


I learned about interfaced hems when I took a sewing course through the Toronto District School Board continuing education program last winter. I've pretty much never seen or heard anyone else mention it but I really like the way it looks I thought I'd post a little tutorial.

It's super easy to add interfacing to a hem and it gives you a nice smooth hem and adds a bit of body. The hardest part is that you can't press the hem. Don't do it! Don't let your dry cleaner press it! Resist the urge.




Mark where you want your hem to end on the inside and the outside of your garment, cut your hem allowance. I'm using a 1 1/2" hem allowance. Finish your raw edge. Add a mark parallel to your hem mark, one inch away, in the hem allowance on the inside



Cut 2" wide bias strip and mark the centre.



Hand baste the muslin strips into the hem, matching the edge with the mark you made 1" from where you want the hem. This will make the centre mark on the muslin line up with there you want the hem to fold. Baste just inside the hem allowance, right next to the mark down the centre of the muslin strip. Just catch a few threads of your fashion fabric with each stitch, since you won't be removing these stitches.



Fold up your hem and blind stitch as with any hem. Now don't press it! You can steam it a little to relax it but you want it to have body.



Please disregard my unsightly seam allowances. Thank you.

What tricks do you love that no one else seems to know about?

No comments:

Post a Comment