Pinterest Pin

Tuesday, 6 November 2012

New Old Machine: Viking 714

I got my new machine back from the repair guy!

It's a Viking by Eaton's. Are these common in sewing circles? It was a Canadian brand, so I'm not sure if there are many out there in the real world. I've seen a few people selling these online but does anyone actually sew on one?


Isn't this delicious? Yeah, it's sea-foam green! I'm not sure what year it's from, but it's one of those super heavy all-metal jobs that's built like a tank and weighs about the same. I've moved it into a portable machine box, probably for good. Even though having a machine in a table seems like it would be really nice, I just don't have anywhere I can keep it right now, at least not anywhere where I would actually want to sit and use it.


Pretty sweet, right? My original machine is a super cheap Brother that I bought used before I had done much sewing (I didn't have much of an idea of what I should be looking for), so this is a real upgrade in terms of quality and control. I love being able to adjust the stitch length, the height of the feed dogs and the pressure of the presser foot, all things that were missing from my Brother. This one also sews faster, and feels better as it sews, more powerful. And a working bobbin winder, hallelujah!


It even came with the manual and accessories, including the straight stitch plate and foot.

This machine worked beautifully when I tried it out (I bought it off craigslist) but when I got it home, it would only zig-zag! I was bummed, since I had paid $50 for it. I found this guy Rick McBride to give it a tune-up and he did an absolutely killer job. It sews like a dream!

What was your first sewing machine like? What do you sew on now?

13 comments:

  1. Hi Dana. I love your style / sewing blog.

    My first machine was a Kenmore that I received as a Christmas gift from my parents when I was 12.

    Although my mum once had a knitting machine, she had no idea how to run a sewing machine.

    A male friend of the family helped me wind a bobbin and get it threaded. He had operated a sewing machine in a leather factory.

    I had no fabric so my mum gave me some of my baby brothers cloth diapers to practice with.

    I never became accomplished but over the years managed to create kitchen curtains, lots of halloween costumes, table cloths and a few little waredrobe pieces.

    Happy sewing!
    Your ever-loving Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a knitting machine!? That sounds amazing.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would there be any way would could take a picture of the underside of your Viking 714? I'm trying to determine if mine is missing a part but have nothing to compare it to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this machine now and I cannot move the button hole dial this is new to me can u tell me how to move this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, yeah. I've had trouble with the buttonhole dial. I had to figure out my own steps to make a buttonhole because the instructions don't work anymore.

      If the dial is seized, you might just have to find a sewing machine repair person in your neighbourhood. Do you live in the GTA? I can recommend a guy.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Hello!
    My name is Raphy and I just purchased the same kind of machine as you!!
    How EXCITING!!
    Unfortunatly, it didn't come with a Owner's Manual like yours, and I was wondering if it could be possible to post it online?

    Had to try!
    Have a wonderful day full of love <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also just bought one of these beauties. There was no manual
      so I would also be interested in seeing it online.
      Thanks

      Delete
  6. an online manual would be amazing as i just purchased one of these myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. added a pdf of the manual in a new post today!

      Delete
  7. Hi there. I was curious if you know if there is back stitching on it. I have the exact same one but no manual.. and some online manual websites seem shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer, mine does have back stitching. I've actually posted a link to a free pdf of the manual that came with my machine! I don't know if I can include a link in the comments, but you can find the post from July of 2015. Let me know if the link doesn't work!

      Delete
  8. Add me to the list of 714 owners (as of about 3 hours ago) and count me grateful for your posting the manual.
    Same colour scheme but is the right hand end of yours including the bobbin weaver cover just a slightly different shade, mine is definitely more bluer/gray than a matching green, very close but not exact.
    May go get another one, same scheme but slightly different model or same model but a couple of years earlier or later, dials are a different pattern and "slide" controls are on the face right not mid near the upper cover.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete