Pinterest Pin

Friday, 11 January 2013

Polished Weekends and Shopping


A Slice of Glam posted resolutions that mentioned "polished weekends" which is something that I realize I'm aiming for. I feel like I need to bring my casual/weekend clothes up a notch. I've got a pretty good collection of casual summer dresses but for the cooler (or downright cold) months, I tend to dress in jeans (I have one pair of halfway decent jeans and two others that look terrible and don't fit), t-shirts and cardigans.

I know there's nothing wrong with that but I have trouble bridging the gap and I think the phrase polished weekend sums it up nicely. It might just become my sewing mantra for a bit. Just because it's casual, doesn't mean I can't look polished.

Hey, pictures!
Check out these floral jacquard skinny jeans I bought!

I really don't like buying ready to wear clothes if I can help it but I caved and went to Yorkdale Mall on the weekend with the express intent of buying some polished weekend clothes. It's been years since I shopped the post-Christmas sales. The first store I went into was LOFT and I just bought the above jeans and this cute sweater.


I tried to shop with the same kind of care and plan that I would if I was going to invest the time to make the clothes. I tried to keep a few things in mind:

  • Pieces that would work in a variety of settings
    • Check. I can wear either piece to work if I want. I could even wear them  out to dinner or to a show (by sweetheart's in a band).
  • Move up a level of formality
    • Check. These are both nicer than the clothes that I usually wear on the weekends.
  • Seperates
    • Check. They ain't jumpsuits.
  • Natural fibres
    • Eh, check-ish. the pants have 1% nylon and the sweater has some Rayon
  • Classic shapes and styles
    • Hmm, I honestly don't know how much longer the whole skinny jean thing is gonna last, but the sweater is pretty classic. Its got pretty clean lines and a nice ribbon detail in the back
What are your style or shopping rules? How do you know what will be a good, long-term piece of clothing that will get lots of wear? How do you find your clothing staples?

The two items together cost about $75. As I mentioned in my last post, I'm going to be tracking my budget because I have no idea what I'm spending on clothes!

2 comments:

  1. There's a really famous Japanese chain called LOFT - Do you know if it is the same one? Lots of beige and streamlined modern design? I'm so curious now!

    Have you tried sewing with knits? I bet it would be dead easy to trace the dolman sleeved top and reproduce your own, know that you like the fit and the look! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillian,
      These were from Ann Taylor LOFT, but the Japanese one sounds cool! We just got Anne Taylor stores here in Canada a few months ago and I like their style a lot.

      I have sewn with knits a bit and I don't know why I'm hesitant to use them more. I have certainly been thinking about them a lot lately. I love wool jersey and found some cashmere wool jersey that I'm a bit in love with. I don't have a serger so I guess I just feel a bit on the back foot with stretch fabrics.

      Can you recommend any good resources for sewing with stretch on a non-serger machine?

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete