Pinterest Pin

Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Style Crush: The Boys of Summer

Not the current Boys of Summer, though they do clean up nice.

No, I'm taking about the ball players in the early decades of the 20th Century. Those guys wore some crazy get-ups. And you know how I feel about jodhpurs. But the best part - the absolute raddest of the rad - is their giant bulky sweaters!


Look at these handsome mothers in their preppy cardigans! Why do they need cardigans? It's summertime!


Ty Cobb and Honus Wagner meeting for the first time. Honus wins this round with his shawl collar letterman cardi.


Though Ty did have style. Look at that popped collar! Quite the surly glare, too, which doesn't come as much of a surprise given what an angry, violent dude it sounds like he was.


Yes. Cardigan.
Plus, there's this:


And even though I loathe and despise the Yankees (and rightfully so, I should say) they really took the cake, style-wise.



The Babe looking positively dashing in his shawl collar cardigan. Looking for photos of early baseball fashion, I found a great post on Wax-Wane about these cardigans here, which includes lots more great photos, for those so inclined to admire them.

I've come to realize in the last couple of months that I really just want to dress shamelessly preppy. I'm talking east coast ivy league, and like, men's wear.  Or maybe a cross between prep and British heritage countryside. These cardigans have a bit of a nothern-european nautical vibe to them, too.

How can I get my hands on one of these cardigans?

I just realized that today is the best day of spring training. Picture day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dana! I hope you are still joining us for Saturday. Could you email me at allstyleandallsubstance AT gmail so we send you all the event details and have a way to get in touch with you? Looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice meeting you on Saturday. How *do* you feel about jodhpurs? I have a strange weakness for vintage athletic wear, especially those old football outfits..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, who is this? It just shows up as 'blog'.

      I love jodhpurs! I mentioned them in my post about Wartime Farm a couple of weeks ago.

      I really want to make a modern jodhpur like you see sometime with the paper bad waist but I don't think they really work on my body type. Like, at all.

      I just Googled "old football uniforms' and amongst the apt images were sprinkled pics from the lingerie football league. Thanks Google.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Dana, it's Sarah! Blogspot and Wordpress don't play well together.. If you enable the name/url option I can identify myself :)

      Sigh, lingerie football. Sometimes I get zombies popping into my pattern searches. (??) Do you know the blog Unsung Sewing Patterns? It's great for coverage of more utilitarian garments..

      Delete