Pinterest Pin

Sunday, 31 March 2013

First Draft

A few months ago, I decided I would learn how to draft of it killed me. Here's my first stab at drafting a bodice block!

The biggest thing I learned is that I'm crazy unsymmetrical. How had I not noticed this before? Maybe it's just exaggerated by the fact the my floor is pretty dramatically sloped where I was standing?

Anyway...

I used this tutorial to draft this block.


The instructions were mostly clear but in some places (like the length of the shoulder), the measurements I ended up with were so obviously wrong. Luckily, this method is kind of a mix of direct and proportional drafting, and there were alternate instructions for some measurements.

It was also not clear what to do with the darts so I sewed the muslin with princess seams. I don't know what I'm doing!


It's pretty close for a first draft, I guess, but still needs a lot of work, especially in the back. I'm going to try to use The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting to get this bodice fitting like a dream. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see someone using a true self-drafted pattern. Here is a link to an Italian/English book with series of drafts for women's wear: http://www.sendspace.com/file/l7oyws
    Worth a read through. Once you get a basic bodice down, you simply add features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link! I'm planning to try a few different methods to try to get a good understanding of what options there are.

      Delete