Pinterest Pin

Monday, 4 March 2013

Pattern Appreciation Post: Heidi

I love Heidi!


Uhhh, not quite.


That's more like it. Though in the grand tradition of BurdaStyle patterns, you really can't tell what this dress looks like from the picture. At all.

I've made three of these so far and now when I see a great fabric, my instinct is always to make a Heidi.

It took some cajoling to get the pattern to fit, mostly because the Burda patterns run so big, but now it's a flattering, versatile, modern dress.


I'd been thinking about the Heidi because the first one I made - the black one - was still a little big and this weekend I took up the shoulders to make it fit a bit better. You can find details of the Heidis on my BurdaStyle profile.

Have you made a Heidi? What's your most tried and true dress pattern?

In other news:
I spent $23 on black cotton lining that feels like bemberg(!) and $9 on white-with-black-polka-dots rayon. I didn't buy any ready to wear clothing.

Grand total I spent only $112 on clothing in February but don't worry! I plan on spending a huge wad of cash buying a metric f*#!ton of fabric from Mood. Seriously. I don't know what's gotten into me.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the Heidi. You have inspired me to try it, I love the look/fit. I'm glad you mentioned that Burda's sizing fits big. I was a little concerned that I was oddly shaped when trying to fit one of their patterns...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I'm pretty average-sized and I always have to spend a million years sizing things down. I don't even know what I'm doing! With the shirt pattern that I'm using right now, I printed it off at 90% and it worked pretty great, but I had to lengthen the arms. It's an option but you really have to measure your pattern thoroughly before you cut. Do you usually make a muslin? Do you measure your pattern flat before you decide what size to cut?

      Delete