Pinterest Pin

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Torso Block

...Sounds like something out of a grisly cop drama. I'm also pretty sure that this doesn't technically count as a 'block'. I think it's more accurately a fitting shell but what the heck do I know?

Anyway, I tried out a draft that included the upper part of a skirt, since most of the shirts that I want to make go past my waist proper.

I probably should have planned a little better because the instructions I used to draft my bodice didn't have instructions for how to add the lower torso so I had to do a bit of a mash-up. Which I am most definitely not qualified to do.

Oh well!

Here are the first results.



Ok, so you may have noticed that I have a big round butt. It's hard to fit. The biggest issue is that there's so much suppression between my hip and waist that darts and the side seams kind of distort at the narrowest part. If I ever make anything this fitted I'll almost certainly opt to use multiple darts to spread out the intake, or additional construction seams like princess seams.

For the most part, I'll be making semi-fitted shirts so I won't be taking in so much intake on my darts, and I might leave them out altogether.

It sure does make things difficult to fit, though!

Have you encountered this? How do you deal with it?

I think the actual fitting issues are most obvious from the side view.


HBL is totally wonky and riding up at the back. My first thoughts are to try to release the back darts and side seams because it looks like it might actually be riding up at the back, and I won't be able to correct the fit while that's the case. It's also pretty baggy at the side seam just below my waistline. My hips are quite low so that's not really a surprise.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment