Pinterest Pin

Wednesday, 1 May 2013

"How to replace your ENTIRE summer wardrobe!" ...wait, what?

Seriously, that was the subject line of an email in my inbox this morning from Refinery 29 (I don't even know how I ended up on their mailing list). It's basically a list of "must-buy" wardrobe pieces with links to the websites, totaling $1000.



So can we talk about this for a minute? There are a lot of things that I find strange about this slideshow that they were promoting. Like, is it just me or does this stink of unchecked consumerism? Are we expected to throw out our clothes every season? Are we expected to have to replace our clothes every season? Are we failing at something if we don't spend a certain amount of money on clothes?

It seems like they're framing it to imply that $1000 is the absolute lowest end of the spectrum that you should be spending on clothes this season.

I feel like there is this mounting cultural expectation to wear a new outfit everyday (celebrities are called out if they wear the same thing twice, fashion bloggers posting new outfits every day...) and it seems to me that this encourages us even more to buy more clothes and of course, most of us have a limited budget so we have to buy cheaper clothes to have these huge, seemingly inexhaustible closets.

Do you feel pressure to wear a new outfit every day? I would say that I have about two weeks worth of work outfits each for fall/winter and spring/summer. How many outfits do you regularly wear?

And at the risk of sounding trite, isn't part of the point of clothes to express your individuality? Who would want a paint-by-numbers wardrobe?


2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that's disgusting! These days we know we need to reduce/reuse/recycle, but do the people realize that those cheap clothes with increasingly more synthetic content in them, will be sitting in the landfill for centuries? Why does that not compute? Why are there people who would rather buy a new shirt than sew on a button (I actually know somebody like that). I would rather have few good articles of clothing and get a lot use out of them, rather than have a mountain of shmatas in my closet. I wonder if the aftermath of the Bangladesh disaster will actually get people to think...
    Thanks for writing this post, we need to think critically!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because they think I have $1000 just sitting around to spend exclusively on myself to replace my summer wardrobe??? What if my whole family did that??? Do I have $5K+ for all of us to have new clothes for the next 3 months? and if we all did that for each season...$20K+ just in clothing for one relatively average-sized family for one year. I can see the marketing angle, that's some serious cash the retailers could get...but not from me. I have no problem wearing the clothes I love repeatedly (even 2 days in a row if I really love it and it's clean), and if other people find that monotonous, it's their problem, not mine.

    ReplyDelete