Pinterest Pin

Friday, 24 May 2013

Shirt, Finally!

Since I don't like to have multiple projects on the go, I was determined to finish my shirt this past weekend.



The fabric is a blue, white and green cotton that I got second hand. I did the buttonholes is a coordinating kelly green for some pop.
I think this shirt is the closest I've come to being happy in terms of fit but there are still some things that are driving me crazy. Is it just me or does photographing clothes bring out the worst in them?


I made this pattern from the shirt I took apart, and then I added my own collar and stand, widened through the hips and added a yoke. As with my last shirt, I used techniques from David Page Coffin's Shirtmaking book and I'm really happy with how the collar turned out. I think I'm really getting the hang of it. I'm also kind of in love with flat-felled seams. They're so tidy!

Do you have a staple shirt pattern you love? I had so much trouble finding one that I liked because it seems like the only sewing patterns I could find were not drafted to be used with the more traditional shirtmaking techniques. 

Because of that, I want to make this pattern available online. But I've never really done that before so I have a few questions:
  1. Since I based this pattern off of a RTW shirt, is it even legal for me to make this pattern available? I did change several design elements and it would be free.
  2. What is the best way to make a PDF pattern from a paper pattern? I've checked out a few tutorials. Can you recommend a good tutorial on how to do this?
  3. Uhhh...grading? I was thinking about trying to offer small-medium-large. Am I biting off more than I can chew?
  4. Would you find a shirt pattern like this useful? It's drafted to be able to use with the techniques in DPC's Shirtmaking (sleeves are constructed flat, seam allowances are different for seams that are flat-felled, etc). Would that be useful?
In other news, I have to show you this sweater I bought!


I think it's so cute! It has happy little whales all over it! (On a side note, I'm wearing it with my linen trousers that I made from a pattern based on some RTW pants that I copied.)


It was $100 and I love it but I'm not sure if I should keep it. It is in colours that I wear a lot, and it would be a great layering piece. And I love those freaking whales. It would definitely help to bump up my polished weekend wardrobe and I could wear it to the office on more casual days in the summer. What do you think, should I keep it? I'm not sure what's holding me back from deciding to keep it.


No comments:

Post a Comment