Pinterest Pin

Saturday, 31 August 2013

Victory!

God, I love those shoes.

After inching along for months, I've finally finished my Rundschau self-drafted skirt! Can you believe it? Neither can I!


I'm not completely happy with the fit or construction but I feel like it's the best I can do with my abilities and of course, I learned a lot!

I'm thinking I might make another skirt right away to solidify what I've learned and tweak the pattern now that I've worn the thing and seen it photographed. (Don't you hate when you think something looks good and then when you photograph it, you see all the issues?)

Here you can see the zipper and button
closure. My zipper-insertion-by-hand
skills need work.

I also want it on the record that I hand stitched this thing. Yeah. I kind of love hand stitching. I thought it would be a big mess but it turns out that it allows for a lot more precision. Yay.

The button hole wasthe last step and I kind of choked.
 Not my best work but in my defense, the tab I was
sewing through was really thick!

This skirt also feels delicious. I used a fine grey wool and lining that feels like Bemberg but burns like cotton. I bought it from Downtown Fabrics in Toronto and the guy swore it is cotton. Whatever it is, it feels great. I used a technique from Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Practical Guide for Women's Wear by Cabrera. It involves folding the hem over the raw edge of the lining, so it's all enclosed like at the bottom of a jacket. now that I've tried it this way, I don't know why anyone would ever have the lining hemmed separately. I've always hated hemming linings. Never again!

What project have you learned the most from?

6 comments:

  1. Beaauuuuutiful! You look stunning girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOMGOMG I just received the two Rundschau mags I bought a couple of weeks ago. What's the deal with those? Are you meant to enlarge them or morph your slopers into them? I was wondering if it was a 1/4 size and I could just photocopy it 200%-do tell. Also I love the skirt with that top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. I used instructions that I found on the Cutter and Tailor forum. The instructions that I used are meant to be used to draft an original pattern using your measurements. I think. You can check out some info here. http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=276.

      I have no experience with the mags, sorry to say. Let me know if you figure it out!

      Delete
  3. I love it, Dana!! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete