Pinterest Pin

Monday, 28 October 2013

Learning to teach someone to learn how to sew. AKA My girl Kiren is a badd b!+c#

About a year ago, Kiren was hired into the development department that I was working in at the time. She's pretty awesome and was super interested in sewing so we hit it off.

We've been meeting up on the semi-regular to make her a dress and a couple weeks ago, we finally finished!


Here's Kiren looking like the baddest bitch in the room in her new dress.

Helping someone through their first sewing project was a real learning experience for me.

Have you passed on your sewing knowledge to a newbie? What have you learned from it?

I'm almost entirely self-taught from the internet, so I thought that if I was there to guide her, that Kiren could skip a whole bunch of steps in the learning process. Like little projects that just get you used to sewing, and simpler techniques that make your project quick and satisfying.

Boy did I learn my lesson! I think I didn't give Kiren enough room to build her skills herself. I've just started sewing with another friend and I've steered her towards this project. And it's easy for someone whose never sewn before to be a little too ambitious in their first project. It's really hard to just jump into making garments if you've never used a sewing machine before!

Tell me about how you learned to sew! Did you have someone teaching you? What were some of the most important things you've learned over the years about helping others learn to sew?


2 comments:

  1. I'm a getting into sewing just now, messed around with a sewing machine as a kid making 'pot pourri' bags for drawers lol, and have always wished I had the skills to sew, well now I'm going to try, and will be self -taught off the internet too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

      Delete