Pinterest Pin

Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Next!

A week or so ago, I finished another dress, but I haven't have a chance to photograph it yet, so it'll have to wait.

In the mean time, I've been plotting. And drafting.


This is the dress that I want to make, or at least a passable representation. Even if the model does look a little evil.

And like she maybe has a broken leg.

I know I want:

  • a boat neckline
  • short kimono sleeves
  • gathered, bloused bodice
  • flared skirt with gathered waist
  • a cascade
  • facings to finish the neckline and armholes
  • this fabric
(it looks better in person, swear)

I'm not sure:
  • how I want to finish the edge of the cascade
  • how best to hem it
  • how to attach the elastic in the waist
My goal is to have this finished by summertime, so I've got roughly a million and a half years to get it done.

4 comments:

  1. If it is silk (it looks like silk), I would finish the hem and the cascade with a baby hem (and its secret, ban roll) ttp://www.burdastyle.com/techniques/how-to-sew-a-perfect-baby-hem). For the elastic, if all the gathering comes from the elastic, make a tunnel with the seam allowances (makes sense or not?)! I look forward to the finished dress!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! I've seen that tutorial before. Have you tried it? does it actually work?
      Thanks for the tips. The fabric is rayon, but it's very drape-y and I'm pretty worried about all the hems on the bias that I'll be sewing.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty fabric and a good choice for your dress. It will look cool and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I end up with something I can wear to work and on weekends.

      Delete