Pinterest Pin

Monday, 7 April 2014

Best Layered Plans: Fashion Fail

I've been a little obsessed with the idea of making a sheer-layered skirt for a while and this week I finally made it happen!

Uh... so I was all excited about this skirt until I started photographing it.


Why is it so ugly!?! It didn't look like this in the mirror. I feel like this skirt makes my hips and thighs look huge!


Or this! Also, what is my body doing???


This is making me so sad. I was all excited about making something fun and special and I thought it was going to look so good. And of course now I'm feeling frustrated about my body.

This is not how I want my body to look. Fail.

Like, I actually think I would prefer not to wear clothes at all. All they do is remind me how not-perfect my body is.

To be fair, some of the photos looked OK.




But there are definitely way more bad photos than good, and I can't tell what it really looks like in real life! Have you ever had this problem? Where it's hard to figure out if something is flattering of unflattering?

Here's what I think some of the problems are:

  • I'm slightly backlit in my mirror at home, which makes the organza layer look more sheer, so in the mirror, I see the silhouette of my legs through the organza more clearly. But in photos, the organza is more reflective of light, so it's more opaque creating a fuller silhouette. Solution: remake the skirt with different organza that is even more sheer.
  • I don't know what top to make/buy to wear with this. Just from photos, I can see that the ones with the black tee are a little better than the ones with the white cami. Solution: find a style of top to go with it that makes it more flattering.
  • The opaque layer is a cotton broadcloth. It's a little stiffer than I had been hoping for, and I think it makes me look a little wider because it's got some body itself: Solution: find a pure white fabric with good drape (a challenge in itself) and remake the skirt.
  • This is just an unflattering look for me altogether. Solution: cut my losses and wear something else to my sweetheart's CD release party.
Ugh. I don't know.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm - Maybe the camera angle is not helping? What does it look like if you take a pic from shoulder/head height? I think you should just wear it and have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I'm going to just go with it. Not too sure about the camera angle. I think I was having one of those days where all the angles are wrong!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Gillian on this one! Some of the pics are OK, show the skirt off to some friends and see what they say. Also, when I take pictures for my blog, I shoot about 100 (seriously), and only maybe 5 are kinda usable. Sad but true...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, clothing is hard to photograph! I feel like I'm still learning so much about how to document my projects to their best advantage. I think you're right that I should get the opinions of people who can see it in person. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I like the concept. I think most of the sheer layered skirts I've seen have been chiffon rather than organza, so they end up drapey rather than structured. I think a lot of times when something is perceived by our mind as "unflattering" it may have more to do with the shape being unexpected than it does actually looking bad or wrong.
    As far as a top to wear with it, you might try a button-front shirt tied at the waist, or throw a cropped denim jacket over the white cami.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cari,
      I know I had a reason for going with the organza instead of chiffon, but I can't really remember what that reason was.

      I'm definitely going to try your styling ideas. I do love the liik of a high-waisted skirt with a top that hits right at the waist.

      Thanks!

      Delete