As you can see from this photo
my first crack at putting in a zipper like this was pretty crappy! I'd never used a zipper with a knit before. Lots of buckling. And with the extra layer of the leather trim, I wasn't sure how I was going to finish the ends or anything.
I ended up basting the raw edge of the centre back to the zipper tape, and then fed it through my sewing machine while holding it tight between my hands on either end, front to back. That way, there was tension in the fabric as I was sewing it. I was careful to keep the tension balanced front to back, so it wouldn't effect how it fed through the machine.
|This is just a practice version, so I didn't worry too much about getting it perfect. Or using the right thread colour!|
I also chose to finish the neckhole edge and the bottom hem before adding the zipper. I had to get the measurements just right! Because I attached my zipper on the right side of the fabric, I could just cover everything with the leather trim for a neat finish.
Wow edgestitching the leather trim was impossible!
Here the white thread really highlights how much practice it took. This was like, test number 3. It would have been a lot easier if I had a teflon edgestitch foot. But I don't have a teflon foot or an edgestitching foot so I ended up using a zipper foot with a piece of scotch tape stuck to the bottom! Yikes.