Pinterest Pin

Friday, 19 September 2014

Taking the plunge

Oh my gosh, I have a new sewing machine! And it's really nice!





I got a lightly-used second-hand 380.

After almost four years of sewing, it was time for me to take the plunge and invest in a machine that costs more than $50.

The last few weeks have really made me realize that I want a good, reliable, quality machine.

Last weekend I spent some time visiting two machine dealers near me (The Make Den sells Janome and the Workroom carries Bernina) and trying to figure out what machine is right me me.

I think the biggest hurdles to buying a proper machine before were just feeling so overwhelmed by selection, worrying about spending a whole bunch of money on something that turns out to not have all the features I want and the lack of accessible dealers nearby. I don't have a car and there just aren't a lot of sewing machine stores!

Anyway, I did as much research as I could stand and decided I probably wanted a Bernina 3 series. And there just happened to be one available on Kijiji!

Wednesday I spent about an hour at the seller's house test-driving and finally took the plunge!

How did you decide what machine to buy? Are you happy with it? I'm looking forward to what I hope is a long honeymoon period.


The biggest factors in choosing the Bernina 3 series were:

  • Bernina has a crazy selection of feet! There are some models of Bernina, like the mechanical model, that don't have the full selection of feet and you have to buy an adapter or some such nonsense. Can someone explain this to me?
  • This model doesn't have a bunch of extra embroidering junk that I'll never use. 
  • Stitch quality, of course
  • It does a decent job of handling knits (I just won't buy a serger or overlocker. It's just not going to happen)

I can't wait to get sewing on this machine. I'm going to ease into it with some basic pants hemming. I still need to order a couple of feet (the lapped seam foot and the rolled hem foot are essential for me.

In other news, I'm wearing my new leather jacket! I bought it in Istanbul. It's been a very splurge-y few weeks but I've wanted a leather jacket for years and this one was just the ticket. I'm actually glad for the chilly fall weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment