Pinterest Pin

Sunday, 30 November 2014

Finally gonna make a jacket for myself!

I've spent a lot of time this year developing my drafting skills, which has been pretty wonderful! But lately I've been getting the urge to do something a little different. I'm not sure why I've been putting off finally starting my own jacket. Last weekend I walked past a second hand store in my old neighbourhood and spotted 2 yards of camelhair wool for $20.

I'm taking at as a sign to get this project started! Best case scenario: I end up with a super cute and very wearable jacket. Worst case: I waste a bunch of time and money having fun learning what not to do.


Yesterday I bought all the supplies I'll need, including these gorgeous bone buttons and navy blue bemberg lining. Yum!



I'll be using Butterick B4610, which is out of print but still available.

I made up a muslin in a straight size eight. It's actually a very nicely drafted pattern. with not too much ease and the sleeves are pretty perfect and the shoulder fits really nicely.



For my actual jacket, I'll grade out to a size 10 below the waist.

And, because I can't leave well enough alone, I'm going to add a centre back vent and surgeon's cuffs.

I should be finished in about march of 2015. Just in time for it to be too hot to wear this jacket.

Oh yeah, and I ordered Classic Tailoring Techniques: A Construction Guide for Women's Wear. It was like, $13 on the Chapters website. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment