Pinterest Pin

Sunday, 28 December 2014

Oh my gosh another post about the jacket!

Ok, ok. I know it's only been one day but whatever. I'm off work.


I put sleeves and shoulder pads in and it only took me 3 hours! (I'm at 37.75 hours now)

I just need to hem it and line it and get buttonholes made! 

From these pictures I can see so many things that I want to change for next time! I think the bust is too full, causing the folds from my bust to my side waist. Also, the polyester didn't press very well for the lapels and didn't ease great in the sleeve cap. I used the bias strip way to insert a sleeve so it was still pretty easy.

I'm also a bit confused about the lapel pattern. On the pattern I used, there was part of the lapel that you were supposed to ease into the lapel facing, but when it came time to sew them together, there wasn't any ease. Not too sure what I did wrong but I'm thinking that might be part of the reason why the lapels aren't lying very flat. Or it could be because it's drafted to accommodate larger breasts. There also seems to be a lot of room in the upper shoulder. Hmmm...


Yes, I have a swayback. No, I didn't do anything to adjust for it on this pattern. I'm hoping that it will be less dramatic once I hem it. I'm also not sure that a swayback adjustment is the right move, since I don't really want to loose any length at the back. Next time I might just grade out to a greater circumference at the bottom hem. Or I might scrap this pattern completely. Who knows?

Before I line this, I need to decide if I'm going to put sleeve heads in. I'm thinking it might help the saggy-ness at the back of the left sleeve there.

Oh, and I just realized that the left sleeve is way too long. I think it's because my body is totally unsymmetrical. Well, there's nothing I can do about that now.

Man, I wonder whether I'll actually wear this or not. At least I'm in the home stretch!

3 comments:

  1. The jacket looks great!! I'm seriously impressed by all the beautiful clothes you've posted on here! Also, I'm totally envious of your week in Mexico- Need more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this looks nice!! The bias strip is the technique I was taught at FIT. I've enjoyed reading your progress on your blazer. I want to make one this winter but I think I will take the RTW/fusible route... But first I need to find a pattern with a slim upper sleeve /narrow armhole (does that make sense?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I find a lot of commercial patterns have big armholes. Isn't it the worst? This pattern is pretty good. I don't feel that the armhole is so low that it really restricts my movement. The pattern is Butterick B4610, which is out of print but I think it's still available.

      Delete