Pinterest Pin

Monday, 12 October 2015

Countdown to Winter

Oh hello friends!

Wow, okay. So I took an unintentional 2-month break from sewing. I took my machine in to the Workroom and long story short, the people who work at the Workroom don't care about their customers.

...Anyway, I've finally got my machine back and it's crunch time for me to make a winter coat.

Remember how I was gushing about Sherlock's coat? Well, I'm going for it!

I'm using V8626, which I had in my stash. It's a little more princess-seam-y and a little less classic menswear-y than I had pictured but I think it will work out just fine with a few (million) tweaks.

The biggest change will be to make it double breasted with a notched collar. The pattern comes with a collared version but the collar is meant to stand up and even overlaps a little. I think it's ugly, so it's gotta go.


My favorite detail of this pattern - and the reason why I bought it in the first place - is the beautiful pleats in the back. I'll be extending the princess seams through the waist seam to the hem, so I can add a cute little belt detail. The belt detail is mission-critical.

Beyond that, I'll also extend the length of the coat, add cute little flap pockets (if it makes sense. I hope it works!) in the princess seams, add patch pockets (maybe), add cuffs (if I can find some info on how to do it).

Speaking of which, does anyone have a tutorial they can share on how to add cuffs to a coat like this?




I've made a preliminary muslin, I'll be posting picks soon because I have no idea how much ease I'll need in this thing. It's pretty baggy. I think my biggest concern is that I want it to be flattering.


No comments:

Post a Comment