Pinterest Pin

Saturday, 11 June 2016

Romantic 1930s bias gown

Oh, la la!



Finally posting pics, you guys! I'm really proud of how this dress turned out!


I'm also proud of my hair! It's not perfect, but I did only have an hour and a half to do it. : /


I knew an open back would be my favorite part of this dress. And look at those waves!


I wanted this dress to be dramatic and romantic. I wish I could have justified using silk, but I needed more than 5 yards of fabric and I wasn't very confident that it would actually turn out! I would have hated to have spent all that money and ended up with a wadder.


I had a hell of a time picking the fabric, too. I don't usually wear colours this intense. This crepe-backed satin ended up being pretty easy to work with (I was shocked!) and I think the colour flatters me. I just wonder if this wasn't a common colour in the 1930s. I really wanted the dress to look like something that could have been worn in that time period.


All photos were taken by the awesome Brian Chambers at Sunnyside Beach in Toronto. From the early 20s to the mid-50s, Sunnyside was a happening recreational scene with a bathing pavilion (now it's a tacky restaurant) and an amusement park. There were concerts by Basie and Ellington. There was even a time when public transportation to Toronto's beaches was free!




Of course, then the city built a highway cutting off the beach from the rest of the city and ruined the whole thing. Thanks a lot post-WWII-development-boom. Oh, and then there was a huge sewage problem. That didn't help either.


Still a gorgeous spot to spend the evening and great for pictures!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a fantastic dress. Love that you made such an effort with the hair and the locale for your gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm so happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  2. That is just perfect! I really love that colour on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. The colour is outside my usual comfort zone, so your comment is much appreciated!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind words. The colour is outside my usual comfort zone, so your comment is much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Stunning! You look like a classic film star, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt very glamorous, too. then I had a beer on a patio where they were playing beach volleyball. I still felt glamorous but also a little silly. ;P

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I felt very glamorous, too. then I had a beer on a patio where they were playing beach volleyball. I still felt glamorous but also a little silly. ;P

      Delete